Crazy? Brave? Whatever you call it - we spontaneously drove to Colorado with four children last week for Spring Break! Within 24 hours we talked about it, slept on the idea, packed and were on the road. My parents flew up to Keystone the week prior to spring break and told me how wonderful the weather was and how beautiful it was in the mountains. On Friday as the kids were playing and I was thinking through what we were going to do the following days I wasn't too excited. Some of the neighbors were going to be gone, Jim would be working, etc. We had planned to go to New Braunfels and Sea World the following Thurs and Friday but that was about all we had scheduled.
I looked at the forecast for Keystone for the following week - beautiful and warm most days! Hmmm...the wheels start turning faster! I used to ski in white-outs, from the time the lifts open until they closed, etc. Now I want perfect conditions so I'm not too cold, the snow isn't too icy, not much wind, etc. Anyhow, I call Jim and throw out the idea that he could drive up with us and we'd drop him off at the Denver airport so he could fly back for work. Most might think that was rather mean and insensitive but if you know us, Jim is a CPA and this is tax time! So, whether we were in Colorado or in Austin he'd be spending most of the time at the office. And if we are gone then he can work as much as possible and not feel guilty! We check with Southwest and he can get a direct flight back Sunday evening.
To my surprise my parents didn't say no to this crazy idea! I explain that although it sounds crazy, this year the twins will really be much easier than the next couple of years. Right now they just need me to nurse them and diapers! They aren't mobile and do not need a lot of extra stuff! My mom was planning to go with me to New Braunfels the following week to help me with the kids anyway so we were just changing locations. Granted, this change put a TON on my mom and dad! My parents are so giving and self-less!
We loaded up and were on the road Saturday afternoon. We had a few hiccups along the way but overall everything went well! The kids did amazing! The boys were in heaven watching DVDs and playing their DS. The babies did terrific for having to be in their infant carriers so much during the drive! We stopped every 3-4 hours for me to nurse the babies, change them, stretch, get food for the rest of us, etc.
When all was said and done, the boys and I had a terrific time! My dad, Preston and I skiied together two days. It was just me and Preston the third day as my dad had to travel back for work. Preston did terrific! We skiied all our favorite runs - Preston is going to know the mountain without ever seeing a map! Brandon was in ski school for 3 days and loves it!! He is very proud that he can put on his boots & skis and take them off by himself. He can go up the magic carpet and ski down by himself and is also quite proud of being able to get up by himself when he falls. One thing he hasn't deemed as important is stopping. His instructor said he would need to learn the value of stopping before moving on :) I'm certain next year he'll be up with us on the mountain!
I also took the boys swimming every day at the indoor pool, which was so fun! At night it was movie time and we enjoyed watching a movie after the babies were asleep. It certainly wasn't a relaxing trip but it was so fun and full of wonderful memories! I enjoyed spending time with Preston and Brandon! My mom was beyond amazing!!! She kept the babies while I skiied, cooked for us, helped me with Preston and Brandon. My dad was terrific about playing with the boys. A favorite game turned out to be throwing jumbo marshmallows - between the downstairs and the loft as well as up and down the stairs outside. The throwing started with a ball my parents had at the condo but after something was hit Brandon suggested marshmallows and we thought it was perfect - they could be tossed easily but are soft enough to not do any damage to whatever was hit.
On the road trip home the boys enjoyed a snowball fight in Happy, Texas with my dad! They also played tag and hide-and-seek in the "wind energy capital of the world" which is Sweetwater, Texas.
I truly can not thank my wonderful parents enough! I obviously could not have done it without them! I am so blessed to have parents that are so involved in my children's lives and enjoy spending time with us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yall are BRAVE! Glad you had such a wonderful time!
Wish we could've hitched along for the ride! Maybe this summer! xoxo
Post a Comment